This is a very important bill in California addressing rampant sexual assault on campus and new practices to help victims. Paul ‘Methyldodogical’ Elam is in a tizzy over it.
‘If the law is passed, it will effectively put the burden of proof of innocence on the accused, rather than place the burden of proof on school administrators. SB 967 is poised to make an accusation tantamount to a conviction in every institution of higher education in the State of California.’
Here’s what it really is:
- better coordination with local law enforcement and community services
- focus on victim support
- teaching students about sexual assault and consent
- a YES means YES approach (enthusiastic CLEAR consent)
- alcohol consumption by the perpetrator isn’t an excuse any more, neither is saying ‘but I didn’t know any better.’
- preponderance of evidence standard
- anonymous reporting systems
Sounds good to me.